Sunday, July 19, 2015

My First Restoration...


Photo: © S. Banos

30 man hours in, and about 350 more (65MG files) to go... Fifteen years ago I made a decent work print of this and had I two or three more sheets of paper left, might have been able to nail it. Ten years ago, I rented a darkroom to renew the challenge and didn't even make a decent test exposure- two sheets into it, I stood there, had a good laugh, and walked outta the darkroom never to return. I still remember how much lighter my shoulders felt when I walked out!

The weight is most definitely back now with the need for restoration. This negative was definitely not the easiest, nor the hardest- but it did at least confirm that, as hoped, I will be able to see most of these through, even with my limited skills- not that it's easy. I tried both a recommended software, and restoration technique- and both failed spectacularly. Other restoration techniques (specifically, those that erase the damage in bulk rather than individually) are simply ineffective or beyond my reach, at least for now; so my number one restorative tool is, quite simply- patience. I've put about 100 of the files I'd like to see the most in a separate folder; when those get done, I'll breathe a small sigh of relief...

No comments: