Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Faster, Bigger, Smaller, Better....

I'm always amazed at the plethora of internet camera buyers. Every time they add a number, reverse the number, add a letter, a megapixel- they're out there buyin' anew. Must admit, I too felt really insecure by the digital juggernaut at the turn of this century. I had looked down on it all along, until one day I noticed it was all around and looking down on me. My mistake. So I went about relearning the wheel best I could, and there are still a lotta spaces between the spokes. But at least I'm now at the point where I don't feel a complete outcast, despite what others may think. And to them...

Anyway, up until now I really didn't even feel the urge to switch. I was happy with film, still am, but recently I've had palpable pangs of envy now that there are digital cameras that I would actually like to own, use, or at least try. Slowly, I'm starting to get over this recent lust, and looking at digital B&W over the internets again helps a long way- their sensors handle subjects in open shade remarkably well, more contrasty lighting though can look questionable, even downright nasty... Think I'll stick to the original game plan of waiting for the organic sensors to debut with there alleged promise of increased dynamic range with more "natural" tonal values- and hopefully, I'll have won the Lotto by then to afford one, presuming, of course, that I start playing. In the meantime...

This guy gives me hope, he don' need no stinkin' digital...



Photo: Thomas Alleman


No comments: