Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Art Of Photoblogging...

Well, not really. More like the hierarchy of photoblogging...

Recently I had someone suggest that I might catch a break in a photo competition since I was a... photo blogger- something I've been doing for the last nine years. The mere suggestion of which sent my mind reeling back to the seventies when I remember some folks thinking that I would naturally catch a break in the photo biz since I was a... "minority." I suppose both could be misconstrued as 'logical' assumptions- which could not be further from the truth. But I digress...

As with most anything else, there are established hierarchies in (photo) blogdom. Blogs run by technical photo experts, blogs run by pro photographers, blogs run by represented artist-photographers, blogs run by professional reviewers, teachers and print columnists... They're the first column of power- and rightfully so since they have a foot in the actual biz. There are also the super commercial, latest product blogs, the aggregates with a little bit (ie- a lotta) of everything, and the videographers who grant us the privilege of actually viewing the most obvious and long established photographic axioms in the most watered down, obvious manner imaginable (inexplicably popular).

And then there's a whole 'nother echelon, the rest of us- guys like me. The bottom of the barrel, the pissing in the wind crowd, the no respect guys- like most everyone else in blogdom. We do it for the same reasons we continue to photograph without fanfare- although we may aspire to bigger and better, after a coupla years, it becomes obvious it's because we want to, have to. For better or for worse...

 And the reward is, the reward is whatever we find of it within ourselves.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I read and enjoy your blog every day and would be very sad if you stopped. There isn't enough written on your topics and with your sense of style. Mark had it with Manchester but finally lost the will to live doing it. Don't make the mistake of thinking your words fall on concrete.

Stan B. said...

Tom- You pretty much encapsulated what it often feels like when you endeavor to document and create a written or visual testament that reflects a minority (in more ways than one) viewpoint. The silence can indeed be deafening, the will to persevere- irrevocably erode. It can also riddle one with self doubt.

If not for the occasional shout out of reassurance (like yours), I don't think I would have been able to continue, long as I have. And I thank you- and the handful of others, for your support and encouragement.

That said, I wish there were more passionate, questioning... angry voices out there demanding change, accountability- at the very least, a counter point to the usual and popular photographic pablum. Instead, we're bludgeoned with Canon vs. Nikon...

PS- As they say, I think reports of Mark's demise a bit premature, he's gone on to bigger and better things in his professional life- good on him. I wouldn't count him out just yet.

Stan B. said...

Thanks, Mike- see above!

Eric Rose said...

What everyone else said. One of my new years resolutions for 2013 was to blog more. I made it to July and then fell off the wagon. It takes tremendous effort to maintain the level and frequency you do. I tip my hat to you Stan.

Stan B. said...

It is a bit more commitment than one would ordinarily think- as it is to comment regularly... As always, Eric.

Eric Rose said...

As a parent and boss I learned very early on to reward good behaviour. ;)

mark page said...

It's great to get yer name mentioned! I too tip my hat to Stan, coming up with something original to say everyday well, how many can do that? I found it harder and harder and started to feel a bit used people asking me to plug there work it started to leave little tim to make my own work so something had to give. Hey I kind of meet at least two great blokes in Stan and Tom!

Stan B. said...

Mark, that's been the one nice "side effect" of the whole endeavor- 'meeting' the few handful of worthwhile people one wouldn't otherwise...

Blake Andrews said...

Wait. Being a blogger doesn't give you any side benefits? I wish someone had told me that a few years ago. I was gonna cash in. Oh well, still a fun hobby.

Stan B. said...

They had some real bad ass cheese sticks up until Oct. '08...