Friday, January 31, 2014

If, If, If...


 ... I had the $$$, those would be my hands around that Fujifilm X-T1camera body ($1,300)! Along with a 14mm (21e- $900), 18mm (27e- $600), and 27mm (41e- $430) lens! Those three in the bag and BOOM! And having a 1:1 aspect ratio (don't ya just love that term?) is like having yet another camera in that bag- love it! The thing is, can I get used to an EVF, and even more importantly... will the files yield satisfactory B&W results? The major reason for me to get a digital camera would be simply to reduce the amount of work it takes to convert a silver neg into an exhibition quality file. But once I get past the digital learning curve, will I get results that will satisfy those aesthetic concerns? Or would I simply be left with some beautiful, contemporary equipment (for a few months) that yields the kind of soulless B&W imitations* I've learned to abhor?
*(not that all digital B&W is necessarily bad)

Anyway, it's a moot question since I stand with ready hands and- empty pockets. That $3,000+ investment is just a middle age crazy wet dream...

2 comments:

Stan B. said...

Eric Rose-
(who had trouble posting his comment):

Well at least wet dreams are free. I just picked up a GX-1 from Frank Petronio. Came with the kit zoom which turned out to be a wicked little lens. I am VERY impressed with the images this micro 4/3'rds camera spits out in RAW. I have the adapters for it so I can use my Nikkor and Leica lenses on it as well. I'd venture to say the images from this camera will rival my D700 unless I need to make 40 inch prints of images made in near darkness. The B&W conversions in PS are really great. It's a cheap way to get a very good digital camera.

Stan B. said...

Was even playing with the idea of waiting till the new OM-10 came down in price (hear their sensors really hold the highlights well) and getting the 20mm Panny along with that gorgeous 12mm f2 Zuiko- but what price beauty on the latter!